Sunday, May 16, 2010

TriZou Race report - Sprint 5/2/10

This is a little late as the race was over two weeks ago, but I just got started with my blog. 
The TriZou race is held at the University of Missouri in Columbia.  Since I was only a few hours away I decided to drive the morning of the race.  This made for an early race day, I left at about 3 AM Sunday morning 5/2 for my first race of the 2010 season.  This would be the first triathlon I have done in a pool, I have always tried to stay away from the pool triathlons as I like the open water swimming.  But this race was a very large pool race and a beautiful 50 meter indoor pool, it has been years since I have been in a 50m indoor pool.
I arrived at the race site a little after 5, checked in and got my bike racked.  The race was elite/pro and age groups, I found my bike next to none other than Pip Taylor.  She seemed very nice and since we both ride for Kestrel it seemed appropriate.  The transition was set all around an outdoor running track with our rack next to the bike exit opposite the run exit.  I walked around, found the pool, and made sure I knew where everything was situated in transition, and got ready to head to the pool for a warm up.
There were so many people I was still wondering how they were going to get all of them through the pool in an orderly fashion, the 400m was to be swam snake style going under the lane lines.  I got in and swam 300m or so warm up and admired the nice facility. As it turns out they were going to have the elite group swim the 400m in two per lane,  and start age group after.  Andy Starykowicz had number one as he won the 2009 race, I somehow received number 2 and was in the second lane with Joe Company from Columbia MO.  I spoke with Joe before and after the race, he was a really nice guy and kicked my butt too.
On to the race, the start was running a little late and started about 7:15 I think.  I thought I had the swim in the bag, but little did I know a guy a few lanes over Ben Kanute would pull away from me no problem.  I felt okay during the swim, maybe a little more effort then it should have been.  Andy was also right on my toes the whole swim.  I was out of the water 2nd to Ben, and headed to transition ran around the track to my bike.  Andy beat me out of the transition onto the bike.  On the bike it was a technical hilly 14 mile course of two loops and the roads were still wet from an overnight rain.  I felt okay on the bike again a little more effort then it should have been.  I think I was passed by two others on the bike. Heading back in to transition to start the run, got my bike racked and shoes on.  As I went through the run out is when the problem started, I asked where the run started and a volunteer said to follow the yellow rope so I did all the way up a hill into a construction area of a dorm.  This was completely wrong and I was supposed to run pretty much straight out of T2.  I turned back got to the run exit and asked again, finally found where I was supposed to go and started my run.  I only lost between 30-40 secs but in that time two more passed me, not good in a sprint.  I was not that mad though it was my own fault I should of known.  Anyway had an uneventful run keeping 5th place in sight the whole time and no one passing me.  Run felt good and I think I was on track with my speed about 5:35 miles, if you take out my dorm visit. Which is where I want to be coming off my 2nd metatarsal break last season.
Overall I was not too pleased with where I placed in this race as it paid out through 5th place and I ended up 6th, of course.  I had a rest week prior to this race, and painted my entire basement the day before the race, but really have no excuse other than I did not feel really in race shape yet.
After the race I took a run around the campus which was beautiful, with Joe Company who showed me around.  I do think this race was very well organized and had a ton of volunteers and would definitely do it again next year.   I stayed for a little while spoke with a few folks, grabbed a bunch of pizza, and then headed home early to pick up my girls from a friends house since my wife was out in San Diego for 5 days.

bib number: 2
overall place: 6 out of 666
division place: 6 out of 11
gender place: 6 out of 416
time: 1:01:20
pace: 0:
swim: 5:50
t1: 1:19
bike: 35:33:00
t2: 1:21
run: 17:17
penalty: 0:

No comments:

Post a Comment