Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Boulder 70.3

Racing the Boulder Peak and Boulder 70.3 I have come to expect tough competition, the Boulder 70.3 last weekend did not disappoint.  My last two triathlons have been right in my back yard which is so nice to be able to sleep in your own bed and not have the travel associated with all of my other races this season.  The day before the race I was up early getting my daughter's bike ready for her Ironkids race.  We hit the Ironkids race which she did very well at and enjoyed it so much.  It was almost more fun watching her race then doing my own the next day.  Great job Riley! 

We got to hang out at the beach swim with the kiddos and attend the pro meeting, so I was all set. 
Race day I arrived early as is my norm now after a few rushed races in the past, I had plenty of time to get everything set, chat, and walk around the transition area.  My strategy for this race was to take the swim easy, nail the bike, and see what happens on the run.  The swim was wetsuit legal though most felt the water was way too warm, no worries not much you can do about it.  I like my Blue Seventy full wetsuit anyway even if it was going to be a little hot.  Our start was 6:30 am nice and early to keep out of the heat in the afternoon.  I started the swim right behind Andy Potts and after the gun went off I found that many of the guys were jockeying for his feet.  The group swam out in the beginning what I felt to be a little to the left of the course, so I stayed right and followed the buoys.  I reminded myself that I was going to take the swim easy, which is exactly what I did the rest of the swim.  I was 25 meters or so behind the lead group and before the 2nd group.  I think this strategy is a good one especially at altitude, where fighting for position the whole swim really takes it out of you.  I came out of the water 8th in 24:28 and hardly out of breath, I may need to go a little harder than that next time, but hey I am ready for a great bike now. 
T1 went well and I was off on the two loop bike course.  I saw my coach Eric Kenny as I exited the res giving me pointers and letting me know exactly where I was in the race, thanks Eric for the amazing support!  The lead group was only 30 seconds or so ahead of me, I knew I could catch them but at what cost?  I decided to race my own race and see what happened.  I did gain on the group at the beginning, then they gapped me again, then it held steady at about 1 minute or so the rest of the bike.  Two guys passed me at the beginning of the bike, but they were holding a pace that was a little out of my league so I had to let them go.  I tried to hold 300 watts the entire bike and I managed to feel pretty good throughout the fast flat course.  I had my hydration in the form of Nuun strawberry lemonade which was great, grabbed three waters on course, a few fig newtons, two gels, and a few salt tabs.  I felt quite dialed in on the bike, at mile 45 a little fatigue set in but nothing drastic.  The course is fast, I held 292 watts average and finished the bike in 2:09.48 at just under 26 mph, my best bike ever I think.
I was a little worried beginning the run as I put out a lot on the bike, but after the first 3 miles or so into the run I was feeling pretty good, not fast but good.  The run was a not even that hot this early in the day and the first loop was all to myself, I was passed by 2 guys at mile 4 or so one which I kept in sight the rest of the race.  Lap two I was surprised as rounding a turn I just missed stepping on a 3 foot rattle snake, he was rattling and did not look too happy.  I warned the guy behind me and continued on.  The run actually went by fairly quick, with aid stations each having their own theme was pretty fun.  Thanks BTC you guys were a great help.  Mile 11 into the run I rounded the north east side of the res and just thought how lucky I am to be racing and living here the beautiful mountains in the back ground and the lake.  Oh yea and hat guy is only 100 meters in front of you go catch him.  I think he put on a little at the end because I tried to catch him for what I thought was 8th place at the time, I pulled the gap to around 50 meters but that was about all I could muster at this point in the race.  There was a great crowd at the finish, I crossed the line at 4:01.27 in 11th place.  My run was 1:25.02, not my best, but I am very happy with this race as I feel my bike is finally coming along. 


Now to recover this week and head to Washington state for another beautiful race at Lake Stevens.


Swim - 24:28
T1 - 1:24
Bike - 2:09:48 avg 25.9 mph
T2 - 0:45
Run - 1:25:02
Total - 4:01:27

No comments:

Post a Comment