Thursday, May 24, 2012

Deer Trail RR – 5/6/12


The Deer Trail road race I opted in for after I decided to drop out of the Wildflower triathlon due to some hip issues from running.  Usually the Deer Trail race in eastern CO has terrible conditions including snow and wind in May, this year was the exception with high 60’s and low wind.  I rode over with one of my teammates who was racing the 1/2 race right before our CAT 3 start and gained a lot of knowledge from Bill Campy a veteran in the CO bike racing scene.   We had a few other guys in the CAT 3 race, so we all warmed up together for what was to be a great day.  The Deer Trail course was modified and a little shorter due to bridge construction, but the general 3 loop course was the same.  Our plan was to sit in for the first 2 loop, challenge any breaks, and the hit it hard on the 3rd loop.  That is pretty much exactly what we did.  Eric Flatted but somehow managed to get a wheel and catch the group again.  There were a few little breaks, but nothing major.  Really the CAT 3 group was riding rather slow for a RR, I was going to try and change that in the last 6 miles.  There was one guy off the front for the last 10 miles or so at about a 2 min gap.  At the last 180 degree turn with about 6 miles to go the group was all together, I knew I could not sprint with some of these guys so I needed to break it up.  I decided we would catch the lone leader, I put in some hard efforts up each hill, let the group catch again and then hit it hard again.  I did that a bunch of times and soon the group was strung out pretty far.  We caught the leader with a mile to go, but at 1 km I was pretty toasted and about 15 guys caught me.  I was able to get Eric up to finish in 3rd but I got caught in a bunch at the final meters and only managed 11th place.  I am happy with the race and glad to be the one to pick up the pace at the end for my team, great result at the end of the day.

11th place CAT 3
Dist – 49.2
Time - 2:02:39
MPH – 22.4
NP – 318

No comments:

Post a Comment