Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bolder Boulder 10K - 5/28/12


The largest 10k in the world is right here in Boulder, I did this race last year for the first time since we moved from IL.  I knew it would be a running race I would continue to do each and every year on Memorial day.  I am coming off an running injury with my hip which kept me out of Wildflower and hurt my Oceanside race.  I took 4 weeks off running after Oceanside and have been running again for 4 weeks building back up slowly.  I felt ready to race on Monday even though I had a big training day on Saturday.  I got there early and was starting with the first wave of sub 38 min runners.  I was feeling a little old in this wave as 85% of the people there looked like they were under 21 years old.  Either way the race was off and again Jesus was out with the devil in a full first mile sprint.  I settled in around mid pack passing folks for the first 2 miles or so.  It is still amazing to me how quiet is it running in a pack of fast runners all wearing racing flats, everyone runs on their forefoot.  My hip and lower legs were feeling pretty good the entire race, mile 4 and 5 were a little slower, but nothing too bad.  This is not a very fast 10k with an uphill finish and a few rollers on course, I was just hoping to go a little faster than last year.  I finished about 30 sec faster then the previous year, so I was pretty happy with that time coming of an injury.  Zoot sent me a pair of Kiawe racing flats, I think this made all the difference, these new shoes were great.  Even though I like to run in stability shoes, neutral racing flats are my choice for running only races.  The Kiawe are full lace and symmetrical, a little different than most of the Zoot shoes, they felt tight and fast around corners.  Anyway the 2012 Bolder Boulder is in the books and I was happy with my time, even though it placed me 183/55000.


6th /453 in the 33 age group
183/55000

M1 – 5:43
M2 – 5:54
M3 – 6:10
M4 – 6:04
M5 – 5:51
M6 – 5:58

Total – 36:57

No comments:

Post a Comment