Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bolder Boulder

The largest 10k in the world?  That is what I signed up for and had been anticipating since I recently moved to the Boulder area last October, it did not disappoint.  With a pro field consisting of Ryan Hall among others, I toed the start line last Memorial Day with 55,000 other runners.  My family was there to watch the start and finish, next year I think we will both run it.

I started in first wave under overcast skies with my sister Christine and teammate Brendon.  The gun went off and the mass sprint started led by who else by Jesus and the Devil.
 Followed closely by Brendon and my self.
The race is really a must do race in the Boulder area, there were bands more than every mile with full stages, slip and slides, beer stops, belly dancers, and various other sights throughout the race.  My coach Eric Kenney had a few tough workouts prior to this race including a 4.5 hr ride Sat., but I still felt decent.  Brendon and I ran most of the race together, I only lost him at an aid station where he stopped and I did not, though he kept 50 yards behind me the rest of the run.  I passed Jesus at mile 3 or so, but did not have any remorse.
The course finishes with a 2/3 lap around CU stadium, filled later on in the day but sort of empty upon our arrival.
We stuck around for a little while after the race but it was a bit chilly and rainy so we decided to leave before the pros finished in the early afternoon.
The whole crew after the race....including my girls.

overall place:
    187
division:
    M32
division place:
    7 out of 501
gender place:
    178 out of 22356

mile 1: 05:42.11
mile 2: 06:02.56
mile 3: 06:20.40
mile 4: 06:10.54
mile 5: 05:57.00
mile 6: 06:08.38
net time: 37:33.93
pace: 06:02 (based on net time)

No comments:

Post a Comment