Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kansas 70.3

Headed to Lawrence Kansas for the third time in the race's 4 years was yet again a great experience, this was my the first time racing pro here.  My sister Christine and I decided to make the drive from Boulder to Kansas Friday night and Saturday morning and make a camping trip out of the race yet again.  The weather was on most folks minds all weekend as the forecast was not for the heat, but rather 80% chance of thunderstorms Sunday.  The family choose not to come to this race due to the weather forecast, but in hindsight it would of been a good one to attend maybe next year.
Kansas 70.3 is a great race to camp at simply because you can roll out of the tent right before the race start and not deal with traffic.  Also the run course goes directly through the campground, so no need to leave the site to watch the race unfold.  We had a good group from Boulder, Chicago, and Madison meeting halfway in between for this race and all camping together, so it was bound to be an eventful weekend.  Most staying until Monday as well so we could have a nice Bar-B-Q and a few beers after the race.
Race morning was rushed as always with everyone getting prepared, I think I took my time a little too much, because by the time I found myself walking out of T2 it was only 1/2 hr to my race start and I had to walk all the way to T1, prepare and get to the start line.  I was rushed and just barely made it to the start line zipped up my wetsuit and we were ushered into the water.  There was a decent sized male pro field for this race with a few big names so it was going to be a fast race.  The gun went off and there was the typical jockeying for position and violence of the start.  I found myself right on the feet of a decently fast swimmer and stayed there for the first 1/3 of the swim, he slowed and I passed.  But someone was touching my toes the whole time, Paul Matthews I believe.  As we rounded the first turn buoy and headed into the wind and waves I thought I was going to loose a few of them, but this is where I do not think you want to be leading.  I lead anyway though the finish and chop of the swim coming out of the water first, with a few more of the men not very far behind. 
So the swim went well, but coming into T1 was where the fun started....I was out of the water 1st but out of T1 like 8th, not good.  I can chalk up a list of excuses but the bottom line is allow yourself more time before the race to become familiar with transition so you know it when you are tired.  I was rushed in the morning and it cost me almost 40 sec in transition. 
Once on the bike I had a plan though provided by my coach Eric Kenney, I was to ride the first 10 miles which went up a few hills very nice and steady, building up to my prescribed wattage then holding that throughout the bike.  The key for me was not to kill it up each hill as I usually do, this in the long run is wasted energy.  So I think I nailed this plan to a T at Kansas, because once off the bike I felt great and ready to run, thanks Eric.
My run started off great, but I felt a little off towards the end of the run, kind of a slow bonk from not eating enough calories on the bike.  All I had was two gels, two fig newtons, and Nuun in my water.  I will have to dial that in a little better for the next race.  So the last few miles of the run hurt pretty good, but I pushed through it and managed to finish in 14th place overall.  Out of the prize money, but still a decent result for not feeling it on the run.

Another great race at Kansas, the rain stayed away the entire time and the weather was reasonably cool, for Kansas anyway.  The others that stayed with us had great races too Jackie Arendt taking 5th for the womens pro field, Owen Hammond 6th in his age group, and Christine taking home the win for her age group as well.  It was a nice to know so many top athletes in the race and felt like around each bend there was someone I knew to give a wave or good job too.

Swim - 00:24:36
T1 - 1:25
Bike - 02:19:38
T2 - 0:39
Run - 01:22:51
Total - 04:09:09

No comments:

Post a Comment