Sunday, August 25, 2013

8/4 - Boulder 70.3

Living here in Boulder I feel obligated to race the Boulder races, but knowing that they are going to be super fast.  This was the third time I have raced this one, if you count 2012 which I did not do the run due to a stress fracture.  This year I thought I was in great shape and ready to hit the top 10 for sure.  My day did not exactly go that way at all.  The swim was good I ended up 4th out of the water and headed onto the bike.  This is when I knew I was it trouble, about 5 miles into the bike my quads were just screaming already forcing me to back off.  Thinking back on it I am pretty sure it is from riding the road bike way more than the tri bike.  Backing off helped me recover, but some of the super fast bikers went by me and I had nothing in return.  I started to feel better about 30 miles in, but by then it was way too late.  I rode the rest of the bike with Michael Lovado trading off, but he ran away from me on the run, which was too me expected.  I took the bike dismount pretty easy this time, and the first lap of the run felt okay, the second lap the heat and race got the best of me.  I ended up backing off quite a bit on the second lap considering I was outside the top 15 now, there was not point in killing it the rest of the race.  I was 18th on the day, not great but I learned a few things that I need to continue to work on in training....like running more.


Swim - 24:37
T1 - 1:27
Bike - 2:12:46
T2 - 0:49
Run - 1:25:57
Overall - 4:05:36

No comments:

Post a Comment