Monday, July 21, 2014

5/19 Xterra Lory

This season I decided to skip the WTC races and try a few more Xterra races, the first one near Fort Collins CO in the horsetooth reservoir.  I came up early the morning of the race and had not pre-ridden the course at all, which proved to be a mistake.  The reservoir was beautiful with rock cliffs on either side.  It was still a small Xterra race so I was hoping for a decent result.  The swim went great and I managed to put 3 minutes into everyone else, onto the bike is where the issues started.  It was tacky single track so the conditions could not of been better, I was in the lead so I was taking some risks and cooking right along.  About 3 miles in I way over shot a right hand bend went into the wet grass and totally ate it.  Bike cartwheeling down the hill and all, I had a bunch of small scratches and a sore shoulder but appeared to be okay to keep going.  Hell I was still leading the race, I ran and got the bike back on the trail and kept riding.  Only a few miles later noticing the front rim was very badly bent (requiring a replacement), the disc was not rubbing so I kept on.  Two guys behind me caught me right as we started the 2nd lap.  They clearly were biking faster than I as I did not hold them.  The bike ended and run started right up to the top of a hill overlooking the lake and back down, the views were spectacular.  The run down was tough not to fall and crash, which a few did as the medic at the bottom of the run course attested to after the race.  I held of all but one more runner by the finish and took 3rd in the pros but 2 age groupers beat me too.  The finish line had a slip-n-slid which was pretty nice to cool off.  Some very cool ariel footage was shot from a drone at the race too.  Link below

Xterra Lory ariel footage -

CLICK HERE TO WATCH XTERRA LORY AERIAL FOOTAGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment