Saturday, October 25, 2014

7/12 - Leadville Silver Rush 50


I had a goal this summer to qualify and do the Leadville 100 in early August, this Silver Rush race was a qualifier and a little taste of what I am getting into this summer.  I camped the night prior under the peaks and just south of Mt Massive and Mt Elbert the highest point in CO at 14,689’.  The race start was later in the AM, but a mass LeMans format running up a step hill, 300 meters or so.  I made it out with some of the leaders of the race for the first 20 miles or so.  The 12k’ altitude starts to get to you.  But I gradually fell back into the packs through the turnaround and the way back.  Climbs were loose and many had to be walked.  The last decent was the same long climb we made in the beginning.  Myself and 3 others missed a left turn at about mile 42.  We were ready to be done, not head back up and find the missed turn.  This probably added 10 minutes for all of us.  The rest was uneventful, but I was so tired that even the downhill hurt.  Great to be finished and proud to have earned a coin to make the Leadville 100 in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment