Friday, November 30, 2012

11/24 - Norge Ski Jump CX

Following a week of time spent with family and friends eating and drinking more than my fill was a CX race in Fox River Grove near Chicago.  This was to be my last CAT 3 race and what better way to do it than have my dad and one of my best friends there to watch.  The course was at the base of a full size ski jumping facility, no snow at this time though.  Russ was there as well so the CX race of triathletes was on.



The course was simple with a few run ups, 2 sets of barriers, and some technical sections.  It was a pretty cold day but the ground was not frozen, so it was setting up to be a fast day.  The CAT 3 field was 44 guys and I actually got a call up which was unexpected, but I will take it.

The start went well and I made the first few turns in the top 10.  Russ was in front of me most of the race.  I was impressed with my new Challenge tires as well, but maybe a little less pressure for the next weekend.  Throughout the race I was feeling pretty good, I think mostly attributed to the racing at lower altitude.  There were a few crashes around some slick turns, and I heard one guy crash trying to take me on the inside of the turn and I boxed him out.  That was close to where Brian and my dad were watching, Brian was laughing, I think he got a kick out of his first CX race race.  There was ample heckling and red licorice hand ups.  I passed Russ with 2 laps to go, he was in third and caught the leader before the last lap.  All I had to do was not make a mistake or crash for one more lap.  I managed to hold the 2nd place guy off and took the win, Russ took 3rd (the kid in the picture was picking up his dads 2nd place medal).



 I was surprised my average power was about 40 watts higher then racing back in the thin air of CO.  My last CAT 3 race, from now on its racing with the big boys.  Was a great Chicago race, thanks to Brian and my dad for coming to watch and Russ for the great race.


No comments:

Post a Comment