Sunday, October 7, 2012

10/6 - Frisco CX

I was not planning on doing this race, but the colder weather in Boulder cancelled Riley's swim meet on Saturday morning.  It has been cold here in Louisville a few days of cold, dusting or snow, and 30 degree rain when Phil and I left to head up to Frisco.  I just figured it was going to be a cold muddy race, but to my surprise it was sunny and beautiful above the clouds in Frisco at 9K'.  Still a little cold, the bikes had a nice coating of ice from the ride up through the freezing rain.  It was getting warmer with the sun and it did not feel all that bad.  Phil and I did two warm up laps and headed to the starting line.  The start of this race is all uphill until the first turn, then it heads down by the XC country ski trails, a short run up hill, and a few high barriers.  I found my self around 12th in the first lap, but this big hill was going to be my advantage each lap.  I made my way through the course slowly passing guys each lap till I was in what I thought was 3rd by the start of the final lap.  I passed the last two up the hill and continued on my way, about 1/2 way through that lap I was passed by on guy I had not seen up front the entire race.  I tried to keep with him as I thought at the time he was in my category, I kept pace with him till near the end and he slowly put about 2 seconds into me.  I thought I was 2nd only to find out he was a single speed, but had a rear derailleur fooling me.  So I won right? Ahh still no there was one other guy way out front that no one ever saw, he won by almost a minute over me.  Well 2nd place was not bad, it was a fun course, I did not even get cold, and I won beer from Left Hand brewery.  I did wear super high socks though only because they look so cool.  Racing at 9k' though definitely made it harder.  Phil and I took a nice little ride around Frisco afterwards with the great fall weather.  On the drive down we went from almost 50 degrees and sunny to 30 and rain/snow in Louisville, above the storm was the place to race bikes yesterday.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment