Monday, October 29, 2012

10/28 - Boulder Cup

The Boulder Cup was the 2nd race at Valmont this year, this time it was a bigger race and UCI sanctioned.  There were many costumes in the race, I really should dress up next year.  Anyway there was a large cat 3 group and a huge crowd watching as well since we went off close to the pro race in the afternoon.  From the start this race was not going well, I did not get the call up I was supposed to, but started around 5th or 6th row.  After the start at about 200 meters out there was a crash with 3 guys right in front of me, I could not go right as there were guys there I could not go left which was the barriers.  So only one choice left, I ran right into them all and joined the crash.  It is not like I had any time to make the decision, it was going to happen.  Anyway I went over my bars and my bike when over my head.  It was somewhat graceful, if a crash can be as I turned around and my left arm found my bike and I was back on and riding again.  Everything seemed okay, I was just in last place now.  The course was a little slick and muddy from the recent snow.  I felt okay in the race as I have not been riding as much a usual in the last 2 weeks with the trip to Moab.  I went down again in a muddy 180 degree turn which left my left side all muddy and once again in the sand.  Other than those 3 crashes the race went well, I felt like the last lap I only passed a few guys and was passed as well.  I made it to 16th place, which I guess is okay for all those setbacks.  It was a fun race and I had more than a few folks cheering for me which is always nice to hear.  The only injury from the first crash, was a bloody elbow, some scrapes on my knee, and a little road rash on my rear.  Better than Phil, who ended up with a real bloody leg and a broken shifter, hope he heals up fast and is back out there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment