Tuesday, June 4, 2013

5/17-5/19/2013 - Superior Morgal


The Friday time trial was after work right in the town of superior near our home.  I was short a little gear for this race as I discovered a crack in my rear race wheel and had left my helmet at the last triathlon I completed.  So training wheels and no aero helmet for me on this TT.  The TT here is pretty tough 6-7 miles mostly uphill.  I thought I had a decent time as no one passed me and I passed the 2 guys in front of me, but Eric from my team finished right after me and he started a few back.  I was 7th on the day leading into the crit Saturday and RR on Sunday.
TT Pic
dailycamera.smugmug.com/Sports/05-17-1…

Saturday was the crit, the CAT 3 was later in the day around 5PM.  I was busy around the house and with kids all day, I rode over to the race that afternoon.  The race started faster than I thought it would and I found myself just hanging on each lap.  Towards the midpoint of the race I got caught up in a crash, the crash happened and I rolled into it, not really much of a crash for me.  This caused me to fall off the pack and never really catch back up, I ended up trying to catch on the rest of the race, which was much tougher then racing in the pack.  In hindsight I should have taken a lap during the crash and stayed with the pack.
Sunday the road race we were greeted with a course change due to the traffic barrier company going out of business.  This affected a few other large races in CO that weekend as well.  The new course was 4 times out and back, up and down the ‘wall’, still about 50 miles total.  The first lap I was happy to lead and keep the pace high, but towards the end of the first lap I was once again caught up in a good crash this time.  Two guys went down hard in the middle of the pack, Gage H in 2nd place was one of them.  I was right behind them and could not go left or right due to other guys riding there.  So I had no choice to try and stop.  I still hit them both hard enough to leave my bike on the ground and head out over the bars onto my shoulder and left side.  I did the whole crash and roll thing, the guys on the ground were in bad shape but medical was already on the way.  I checked myself out and found all I had was a bloody hand and a bruised shoulder/ left side, I could ride for sure.  I went back and picked up my bike and water bottles, got my chain on, and headed back on the course.  By this time I was a few minutes back off our CAT 3 group.  Travis and Glenn were waiting for me to help catch back on.  They helped where they could, but it was windy and I soon realized that this was going to be tough.  The CAT 1 / 2 35+ came along and I rode with them until the race official made me pass them up and work alone.  I got within sight of my group a few times but never could close the gap for the next 3 laps, so I ended up out of it.  I rode with another group of about 15 guys that had broke off from the CAT 1 / 2 35+ group for much of the race, I know you are not supposed to but there was no way we were making ground on the CAT 3 group and riding alone in the wind that day was rough.  I still tried to keep the power up and make a good day out of it, but was pretty far back in placement.  The good aspect of this race if there was one is the fact that I think my power on the bike is slowly coming around for this season.  I was 366 average on the TT, 356 on the Crit, and 314 on the RR.  My FTP last year was 320, so I think I am already above that.  Looks like I just need to put it all together and have a good race, a lot easier said than done I know.   The next days I had a sore shoulder and a few wounds to lick, but nothing major.  Overall Eric from our team in his last CAT 3 race made it to 6th place, so it was a good day for the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment