Monday, June 17, 2013

7/9 - Kansas 70.3


This was the 4th time I have completed this race in as many years, it is within driving distance and a great race for spectators.  The whole family decided to make the trip this year and camp for two nights right on the run course as it goes through the camp ground.  We arrived later on Friday night, the kids played around all day Saturday, went to the beach, dinner, and got set up for the race.  It was stormy Saturday night before the race which does not yield much sleep in a tent with two kids worrying about the rain.  Either way we woke up to a wet course Sunday morning, but the forecast was nice for the day, particularly cool for Kansas standards.  There was not a huge pro field in the men’s race, but I knew exactly who was going to be up front, Craig, James, Dan, Paul, Joe and hopefully myself.  The swim was wetsuit legal and I made my way out front taking the long way outside the swim buoys.  By the end of the swim I had a 30-40 sec lead on the field, this was nice but I knew it would not be long on the bike before Craig was going to catch me.  Turns out that was mile 5, so I got to lead the race for the first 5 miles into the bike.  I stayed with him for a few miles, but his pace was a little too fast for me to run off of and I backed off.  A few other guys steadily caught me on the bike, but after Joe I stayed close behind.  Bike was hilly as usual, but I maintained a 311 watt average, which is about where I want to be so I am glad to see my training finally catching up this season, just took a little while.   The end of the bike is where the fun started this year, heading into T2 I had quite a spectacular crash in front of everyone.  I was ready to get off the bike with the bike on my side standing on top of my shoe, when the shoe came detached from the pedal sending my foot into the ground and my body into a roll on the pavement, bike flying over as well.  I am quite comfortable coming in hot to T2 and running fast right off the bike, but I did not expect to shoe to come loose, I guess I must have twisted it a little.  Either way my left hip and elbow was bruised, bloody toes, knee, etc.  I got up quick and headed out on the run, I was still in 5th place for the money.  Though Paul was only a few seconds behind.  The whole event has been captured on video thanks to Dave Ericson.  Apparently Shanon and Corrie were right at T2 and witnessed the whole event, Corrie started crying.


My run felt strong and I relaxed a bit after that embarrassing crash.  Craig and Dan were a few minutes ahead, but James and Joe were only a few seconds up the road, and Paul was right behind me at this point.  The first lap I held a steady pace and I thought I was on track to catch James and was pulling away from Paul behind me.  Even the 2nd and last lap I was in good shape and had folks cheering for me throughout, including my whole family at the camp site.  At the end I was in 5th place and it seemed I was not catching James or Joe.  I crossed the line in 5th for my first payday in pro triathlon, not much but hey this is a hobby not a career.  All in all a fun day in Kansas, I have some time off to lick my wounds and a few bike races before my next 70.3 in mid July.

Swim: 22:33
Bike: 2:16:16
Run: 1:20:15
Overall: 4:01:29


Race summary videohttp://youtu.be/te9Cvn_6PZ8

Thanks to Dave Erickson for the race videos 





No comments:

Post a Comment