Tuesday, June 4, 2013

5/27 - Bolder Boulder


This is the 3rd time for me racing the largest 10k in the world (55k this year), every year we have lived in CO.  I was just hoping to beat my time from the year prior, but I had set the bar high with a high 36 last year.  I was in the first wave with all the sub 38 folks.  They start fast, very fast, there were a lot of 4 minute low for the first mile this year, racing to the camera truck.  But many of them fell back fast after that initial sprint.  Every year I race this 10k I feel like I am that ‘old dude’ racing with all these young people, this year was no different.  Either way it’s a hard 10k, at over 5k’ altitude and a net uphill by the end.  I kept the pace around 5’ 40’’ most of the race and finished hard to beat my time last year by almost a minute and break 36 minutes just barley by one sec.  This year after the finish I had to jog back to the start a few miles away and meet the girls and Shanon to do it again with them.  This ended up working very well, though it was tough to find them at the start as they were a little late and got there just in time.  I found them right after their wave started and ran / walked with Riley, Corrie, and Shanon.  There was something exciting for the girls to do every ½ km or more through the race.  We found belly dancers, do a cartwheel make the spectators drink, hulla hooping, slip-and-slide, many bands, free hugs and lots of other crazy Boulder type costume watching.  Christine and Owen were one of them dressing up as a butterfly and net respectively, very clever I thought.  It took some coaching to get the girls through the 10km but less than I expected and it was a hot day out as well.  The best part of the race was the last 1/2 km running it with my girls racing each other and entering the stadium to see 55k people cheering for them and giving high fives.  They were both in such amazement it was great to see.  They sprinted to the line and ended up 1 second apart.  We spent a while in the stadium for the memorial day festivities, which included watching the pros finish, 8 paratroopers landing on the field, a fly over and general remembering our brave men and women who sacrificed all to give us what we take for granted day to day.
2012 – 36:57
2013 – 35:59.14
mile 1-5:34.68 
mile 2-5:43.82 
mile 3-5:59.48 
mile 4-5:56.99 
mile 5-5:43.15 
mile 6-5:48.20 
pace-05:47  
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment